Details on the handling of personal information by TOPPAN Holdings
1. Compliance with laws and social order
In cases where TOPPAN Holdings receives personal information from customers and carries out information processing and other services, and cases where TOPPAN Holdings itself obtains personal information, the Company complies with related laws, regulations and other rules.
2. Safe management of personal information
TOPPAN Holdings strictly manages and protects personal information that it obtains itself or handles in the performance of services on behalf of customers. In order to protect personal information from risks including unauthorized access, loss, destruction, falsification and leakage, TOPPAN Holdings implements reasonable safety measures such as the establishment of a management system, training for employees, entry/exit control, access management, and supervision of subcontractors based on in-company rules, and in the case of a problem occurring will respond promptly and appropriately.
3. The purpose of use of personal information
In cases where TOPPAN Holdings is entrusted by customers with services for the handling of personal information, or obtains personal information itself, it will be used for the following purposes. In cases where it becomes necessary to use information for purposes other than those listed below, the person or persons concerned will be notified by written document, electronic mail, fax or other means and consent will be obtained.
When personal information is entrusted to TOPPAN Holdings by customers
- (1) For the printing of names and addresses for direct mail.
- (2) For the enclosing of contents containing personal information and their dispatch to private households.
- (3) For the provision of administrative processing services related to the customers of clients.
- (4) For services in which the customers of clients are contacted (campaign back offices, call centers, etc.).
- (5) For data entry that includes personal information.
- (6) For the processing, aggregation, and analysis of data containing personal information.
- (7) For processes such as the printing and binding of printed matter containing personal information.
- (8) For the issuance of cards.
- (9) For services related to homepage operation and member administration.
When TOPPAN Holdings obtains personal information itself
- (1) In order to respond to inquiries regarding TOPPAN’s business.
- (2) In order to dispatch materials requested concerning TOPPAN’s business.
- (3) In order for TOPPAN Holdings to conduct prize promotions and dispatch items such as prizes to customers who have been selected in such campaigns.
- (4) In order to carry out surveys by TOPPAN Holdings and reflect the results, including analysis based on attributes, in TOPPAN’s services.
- (5) In order to provide guidance and supporting information for TOPPAN’s services.
- (6) In order to confirm payment method or payment status for the person concerned in relation to the use of paid-for services operated by TOPPAN Holdings.
In cases where TOPPAN Holdings itself obtains personal information, if the purpose of use of the personal information handled is to be changed, it will be changed within a scope that can be reasonably acknowledged to be adequately relevant to the purpose of use before the change, and the person or persons concerned will be notified of the change in the purpose of use and their consent obtained.
4. Provision of personal information to third parties
Except in the following cases (1) to (7), as a principle, TOPPAN Holdings does not provide customers’ personal information to third parties. In cases other than these, if it becomes necessary to provide personal information to third parties, the person or persons concerned will be notified by written document, electronic mail, fax or other means and consent will be obtained.
- (1) When necessary information is provided to a related operational partner in order to respond to an inquiry from the person concerned.
- (2) When necessary information is provided to a related operational partner in order to dispatch materials requested by the person concerned.
- (3) When necessary information is provided to the provider of a present in order to send prizes or presents for prize and other promotions.
- (4) When necessary information is provided to a related operational partner in order to provide information such as guidance and support information for services.
- (5) When a referral is made to a related organization in order for TOPPAN to confirm payment method or payment status for the person concerned in relation to the use of paid-for services operated by TOPPAN Holdings.
- (6) When an official referral is received and disclosure is required based on the law from an official body such as court or the police and the Company responds appropriately.
- (7) When a referral must be made to a related organization in order to protect the life, person, property or other assets of the person concerned or another person or other persons.
5. Joint use of personal information
There are cases where TOPPAN Holdings jointly uses personal information obtained from existing and potential customers and suppliers. The details of the type of information that may be subject to joint use and how it is handled are as follows.
- (1) Items of personal information that may be subject to joint use
- Name, e-mail address, telephone and fax numbers, company name, department name, job title/position, company address, postal code, company URL
- (2) Scope of parties engaging in joint use
- TOPPAN Group companies listed on our website (https://www.holdings.toppan.com/en/group/group.html) that have a base or bases in Japan
- (3) Purpose of use
- To provide information on products and services handled by TOPPAN Holdings and the aforementioned TOPPAN Group companies via e-mail, direct mail, telephone, etc.
- To confirm the information of existing and potential customers and suppliers on the personal information browsing and retrieval system jointly used by TOPPAN Holdings and the aforementioned TOPPAN Group companies.
- (4) Entity responsible for management of personal information
- TOPPAN Holdings Inc. (https://www.holdings.toppan.com/en/about-us/company-profile.html)
- (5) Method by which information is obtained
- ・From business cards provided to employees of TOPPAN Holdings or TOPPAN Group companies with which the information is shared
- ・From business cards provided at seminars and exhibitions held by TOPPAN Holdings or TOPPAN Group companies with which the information is shared
6. The consignment of personal information
Within the scope necessary for achieving the purpose of use, there are cases where the processing of personal information is consigned to an operational partner with a contractual relationship. There are also cases where, within the scope necessary for achieving the purpose of use, customers’ personal information is consigned to external contractors, such as delivery companies that dispatch prizes or presents for prize and other promotions.
7. Provision of personal information to third parties outside Japan
In the case of 4. or 5. above, if the third party to which the personal information is provided or consigned is located outside Japan, TOPPAN Holdings will provide the information only after confirming that the third party is taking appropriate security measures, or after giving notice of the name of the country of the third party, information on the personal information protection system in that country, and information on the security measures taken by the third party and obtaining the consent from the person or persons concerned.
8. Acquisition of personal data via methods that are not obvious to the individual concerned
Records of access to the TOPPAN Holdings Inc. website (TOPPAN Holdings website) at https://www.holdings.toppan.com/ are analyzed using Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc., to improve services offered by TOPPAN Holdings. Records of access analyzed using Google Analytics contain numbers assigned to access times, access times, pages accessed, and numbers assigned to inquiries, but do not contain any information that could enable the identification of an individual, such as name or IP address.
Cookies are used to collect information on browsing of the website, but users can prevent the collection of this information by disabling Cookies.
9. Scope of application
These principles are applied to TOPPAN’s operations handling personal information. They are not applicable to operations handling personal information other than those of TOPPAN Holdings (the websites of other parties for which there are links on the TOPPAN Holdings website, etc.)
10. Response to the disclosure, amendment, cessation of use, etc. of personal information from customers that is subject to disclosure.
With regards to personal information obtained by TOPPAN Holdings itself (personal information subject to disclosure), when an inquiry is received from the person concerned regarding notification of the purpose of use; disclosure; amendment, addition or deletion of content; cessation of use; deletion; or cessation of provision to third parties (hereafter “disclosure etc.”) of his or her personal information, TOPPAN Holdings will respect the wishes of the person concerned and handle the matter appropriately and without delay. (Please note that with regard to TOPPAN Holdings services for which personal information is essential, there may be situations where the amendment, updating or deletion of personal information results in it no longer being possible to use part or all of such a service.)
11. Inquiries about handling of personal information by TOPPAN Holdings
For the point of contact regarding handling of personal information, including disclosure, please see the address for inquiries given below.
Information Security Division, TOPPAN Holdings Inc.
TOPPAN Holdings is a company subject to the following accredited personal information protection body. Please direct complaints regarding the handling of personal information to the following address and telephone number.
Japan Institute for Promotion of Digital Economy and Community
Address: Roppongi First Building, 1-9-9 Roppongi, Minato Ward, Tokyo 106-0032
12. Basic information on TOPPAN as a business operator handling personal information
TOPPAN Holdings company name, location, and the name of the president and representative director can be found on the "Company Profile" page of our corporate website (https://www.holdings.toppan.com/en/about-us/company-profile.html).
Updated: October 1, 2023